Nichols Arboretum Sewer Rejuvenation Work
January 3-March 24, 2017
The City of Ann Arbor is performing much-needed work on several aging and outdated sanitary sewer lines in the Arb this winter. The rejuvenated lines will address the changing sanitary sewer needs of Ann Arbor and help to better protect the Huron River and the Arboretum’s delicate ecosystems. While the Arb will remain open during the work, some paths will close temporarily to accommodate the project. Please take note of signs and notices in and around the work area.
How this may affect your visit to the Arb:
• Work will begin on or around Tuesday, January 3, 2017 and last through March 24.
• East Medical Center Dr. and Nichols Drive into U-M parking lot M-29 will not be affected.
• Please note areas in red and pink on map below. These are work locations, mostly along the Arboretum portion of Nichols Dr., that will be affected.
• Some roads and pedestrian paths will close intermittently as the work progresses. Occasional construction traffic along Nichols Dr. in the Arb will also occur. Please be aware of signage and barricades indicating closed trails.
• Questions? Contact Mike Nearing, Senior Project Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org: 734-794-6410 ext. 43635. Our apologies for any inconvenience as this important and necessary work progresses.
Map of Arb sewer work:
Through mid-March, 2017
Construction of a long-awaited accessible ramp at Matthaei started in early January 2017. In order to begin the project, contractors sealed the area at the end of the hallway that runs between the west lobby and the front lobby/information desk. That cut off travel between the hallway and the front entrance.
The good news: when the ramp is finished, visitors in wheelchairs or those who would otherwise have difficulty negotiating the stairs by the lobby will no longer need to enter the building via the sidewalk along the front of the building to visit the conservatory or the Garden Store.
While the ramp is being built, all visitors to Matthaei will need to walk along the front of the main building and enter through the front doors to reach the conservatory. The main hallway at Matthaei is still open during the project. All staff offices can be reached via the west lobby.
The ramp is scheduled to be done by mid-March.